Skip to content

Memorial Hall

The Apprentice Boys of Derry Memorial Hall was built in 1877, on the corner of Upper Magazine Street and Society Street. It was extended in 1937.  It has played a central role for the Protestant Community in Londonderry, providing space for entertainment and meetings. 

In the 1960s it was a centre for music and, attended by young people from across all communities in the City brought together by the new beats of the era.

Insert video of Band

As well as the Apprentice Boys meeting room where General Committee and all Parent Clubs meet there are meeting rooms for both the Orange Order and the Women’s Orange Order and the Royal Black Preceptory. These are among the finest meeting rooms for each Order to be found anywhere. 

The Hall is also home to the Society Social Club which organises social events for the members of all the organisations which use the hall. They organise “Crimson Balls” after the two main Apprentice Boys Celebrations in December and August.

Two of the finest flute bands in Northern Ireland also call the Hall their home. The Churchill Flute Band, the oldest flute band in the world and the William King Memorial Flute Band both practice weekly in the Hall.

The Crimson Players drama group is based at the Hall, best known for providing the period re-enactment of the Relief of Derry at the end of Craigavon Bridge before the start of the main parade each August.

Picture Martin McKeown.