Skip to content

Apprentice Boys of Derry Club

The first Club was formed by Benjamin J. Darcus in 1814 and was known as The Apprentice Boys. A few years later, two new Clubs were formed, although no official name was given to them. In 1935 The Apprentice Boys of Derry Club is described as the oldest of the present organisation. The earliest record of initiation is shown as 1883, unfortunately however all records prior to this were inadvertently destroyed by a former secretary. The oldest branch is Lurgan and the youngest Kells & Connor Branch.

Some of the events recorded in the minutes of the Club are as follows: –

In 1865 Rev. Canon Dougherty of Buncrana presented the following gifts to the Club.

  • Framed picture of William and Mary with her declaration to Parliament.
  • A snuff box belonging to the Rev. George Walker; Governor.
  • Two brass cannons and a model of Governor Walker’s monument in the original style when built.

Here are a few extracts from the Minutes of the Club: –

  • An account from Kerr and Company, London Street for 500 envelopes – cost three shillings.
  • In 1926 a letter received from the Glasgow Branch of the No Surrender Club asking for a return of transfer fee.
  • Letter received from J. Barrington Baker (descendant of Colonel Baker) asking the Club to accept an picture of Colonel Henry Baker, one of the defenders of Derry.

There is more information from the Apprentice Boys of Derry Parent Club on its Facebook page.