Skip to content

Murray Club

The Murray Club is named after the siege hero Col. Adam Murray, who led his soldiers with their notable white armbands in many battles, including Pennyburn Mill where, by his own hand, he slew the French General Maumont. Col. Murray is buried alongside another siege hero, Col. John Mitchelburne, at Old Glendermott Graveyard where an annual memorial service takes place in September each year, organised jointly with the Mitchelburne Club.

The Murray Club was founded in 1847 and the initiation fee was 1 shilling, with monthly dues of 4 pence.

In the early years the Club had several different meeting places until the emergence of the Memorial Hall in 1877 where the Club has since met.

Club members on occasions wear a white arm band, representing the white band of distinction worn by Col. Murray’s soldiers during the siege.

At present the Murray Club has Branch Clubs in Ulster, Scotland, England, Canada and Australia. 

For more information on the Murray Club and its Branch Clubs it has an extensive website.