The full title of the organisation is the Associated Clubs of the Apprentice Boys of Derry. The organisation is in fact eight separate Clubs that come together in the one Association, sharing common purpose.
The first Apprentice Boys Club was formed on 1st August 1714 (the date of the annual commemoration that year) by Colonel John Mitchelburne who had been a Governor of the City towards the end of the Siege.
Although this particular Club ceased to exist after his death, the memory of the Siege was always celebrated annually in some form by a succession of Clubs and groups right throughout the 18th century.
The first formal ‘Apprentice Boys of Derry Club’ was formed in 1814 by Benjamin J Darcus, followed over the next 40 years or so by other Clubs founded to commemorate the Siege.
In 1859 six Clubs came together to form the Associated Clubs of the Apprentice Boys of Derry; the Apprentice Boys of Derry, Walker, Mitcheburne, Baker, Murray and Williamite Clubs. The Williamite Club became extinct, but new Clubs were founded and in time the No Surrender, Browning and Campsie Clubs brought the number of Clubs to the current eight.


